Detail from collage sketch

Thursday, March 18, 2010

These are the days...

These are the days you have to laugh and remind yourself of why you love being an artist.
Why... I wondered.
You would think by now I would have learned that "conventional"
saves time and money in the end.
Doing work on standard sized paper
Saves you a lot of headache when it comes time to frame
If I could just resist pastel...
...I'd need glass less often
If I could just work on canvas...
...I would not have to spend time looking for straight pieces of 1 x 2 wood
with which to cradle and mount the masonite
If I could just pick one main medium to work with
...I'd have less of an issue picking a concentration area for art school
But "If-I-could-just...__________" I may not be the kind of artist I am today
Sometimes what needs to be conveyed
Does not fit in the dimension of "conventional"
A lot of my work is "awkward" in terms of space and hanging
Sometimes art is not convenient
And it is most definitely not always simple
I don't have magic powers
A piece must become
There is a process
"Masterpieces" often being as "Mess-terpieces"
Ideas and techniques must be refined
I have days that I think
I have run out of ideas
And I have run out energy
Just like everyone else
Those are the times I must dig deeper
Reflect and think and pray

No comments:

Post a Comment