Detail from collage sketch

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Printmaking



Taking a summer studio class in a month was intense. I spent at least five hours in the printmaking studio, five days a week. It was challenging to use new techniques and express ideas in effective ways in such a concentrated amount of time! But from such challenges comes growth!

I enjoyed monotypes ("mono" meaning one) much more than relief printmaking. I find something wonderful in not being able to reproduce an image using a medium that is typically used for duplication. Monotypes is a hybrid of drawing,painting, and typical printmaking. It lends itself well to spontaneity and mixed media techniques (monoprints: adding to a monotype print after it is on paper), which makes me happy! Here are a few of my favorites.



No comments:

Post a Comment